This programme is designed to equip the graduate with the knowledge and skills to perform several functions in a commercial environment.
Learners are able to specialise in two fields by means of the electives. Graduates will find employment in office environments where paralegal services are required or as assistants in organisations that require the services of registered legal practitioners. Many opportunities also exist in all branches of the public (government) sector.
Successful graduates will become qualified and competent assistants that are able to ensure that primary legal services are more accessible and affordable to the public.
The programme includes legal, administrative and social knowledge as well as practical skills development. Upon completion the learner will be able to:
- Conduct legal research on the behalf of a legal or paralegal practitioner
- Communicate with internal and external clients in a legal or paralegal workplace
- Guide and refer clients in a paralegal context
- Assist in solving problems in a paralegal context
- Provide administration and organizational support in an office environment
- Display ethical values and professional conduct when dealing with internal and external clients.